Wednesday, March 31, 2010
I love that baby blue
Today was the perfect day to enjoy some iced tea. I made this a couple days ago in a large jug and have just kept it in the fridge all week. Alex and I spent some time on our front porch swing just enjoying the weather
On an unrelated note, I wanted to share some of the blogs I really love and read everyday
Enjoying the Small Things This blog is so beautiful, visually and emotionally! Kelle Hampton writes about her life, which recently changed due to the birth of her second daughter who has downs syndrome. It is fantastic and I find myself sucked into it on a daily basis. A friend recommended it to me a couple weeks ago
Pacing the Panic Room I have been following this blog for quite some time now. The author and photographer, Ryan, started this blog to track his wife's pregnancy. Their baby is several months old now but it's so worth it to go back in the series to see the pregnancy photos. Ryan is genius! He's very funny and his photography is fantastic
Elisa Lou I just discovered this blog on Monday and have read back through all the entries to the beginning in 2005! It is so much fun to read! Elisa Lou is the mother of 4 children; 3 biological and one adopted. She just so happens to be into photography and makes awesome bags that she sells on Etsy! I'm definitely thinking about ordering one. She and her husband also just finished some major renovations on their house, which if you read my blog, you know I'd be into!
All these blogs inspire me to take more pictures.
Oh, and just because my master bathroom isn't finished yet doesn't mean I haven't been enjoying the heated floors. Let me tell you, BEST investment ever! They get up to 88 degrees and it just warms you to the core. It doesn't even matter that it's warm today; it still feels awesome. I highly recommend putting them in if you (general reader you!) ever renovate a bathroom. You won't regret it!
I've got some great ideas for my new office and once I repaint, I can start putting it together and I will definitely share pictures. 'til next time! Enjoy the nice weather and the blogs :-)
Posted by Unknown at 10:09 PM
Monday, March 29, 2010
Another weekend has flown by and here we are, Monday again. I'm especially tired today but had an easy day at work. Kelly came by tonight to drop off my birthday present! She got me this great bowl from Beaufort, SC. It reminds me of an eye! It is very much my style
I think Alex likes it too ;-) Even the bottom of the bowl is neat! I only wish my camera would do it justice but alas, the sun is down and I have to resort to my flash
So, lately I've been inspired by other photo bloggers to get my photos off my computer and on to paper! I have an insane amount of photos and I really would like to print them out and put them in albums or something, for goodness sake. I'm going through my photos (also doing a little housekeeping and deleting many) and I come across these...
I miss this guy terribly! He's such a trouble maker but very cuddly. This was over Christmas break at my parents' house and you can tell he was still just a kitten
Annnnnnd he's out! Adorable
On an unrelated note, here's the vanity we ordered for our master bath (well, we ordered 2 of them). They are currently taking up space in our junk room until we are ready to put them in.
Anyway, I know this post was all over the place but I felt the need to update. I'm hoping for nicer weather so I can go back outside with my camera. 'til next time
Posted by Unknown at 9:33 PM
Thursday, March 25, 2010
This week has been pretty fantastic! Things are changin' a bit and for the good
Everything is in bloom. These are my favorite; the tulip magnolia. It produces such beautiful blooms
I was rushing out of the house this morning to spot dew on the ground and ran back inside to get my camera. Boy was I glad I did. Look how beautiful the dew is with the sunshine on it
And to top off a good day, I found we have flowers in our wasteland of a yard! I didn't know we had any flowers. I went walking around the house to just see how everything had made it through the winter and discovered daffodils and forsythia. I have been dying to plant forsythia for so long and I'm just thrilled to have found a bush in our back yard. I didn't even know it was there! So I cut a few sprigs and made myself a springy bouquet for the kitchen. I also cut a few branches of the forsythia to transplant to other locations
I saw these last spring; don't know what they are. I'm pretty certain it's a weed because it spreads like crazy, but it's got some cute flowers.
Anyway, tomorrow is Friday and I can't believe another week has flown by! Go outside and enjoy the nice weather!
Posted by Unknown at 5:07 PM
Tuesday, March 23, 2010
Word to the wise; don't threaten local bloggers with a large following. Local DC blogger and close friend of mine, U Street Girl, had to remove a comment from her blog after a restaurant owner threatened legal action. Well, guess what, word has spread and people aren't happy about it. See here and here.
Methinks he could have been a bit nicer in his approach
Methinks he could have been a bit nicer in his approach
Sunday, March 21, 2010
Alex and I got a lot accomplished this weekend. We finished doing the drywall, which is great because our vanities showed up on Friday! I don't have a good picture yet but once we get them in the bathroom, I'll post one
Almost ready for vanities!
Alex and I also hit up our new favorite joint in Reston; The Counter. It's a build your own custom burger place. One of my favorite things is the sweet potato fries! Oh my gosh, these are amazing! And they come with a horseradish mayo that is to die for. I highly recommend this place
I built myself a breakfast burger; english muffin, fried egg, telamook cheddar...mmm, delish!
I should have some more pictures tomorrow when it's day time. We don't have the lights up yet so it's tough to get good pictures at night.
Hope everyone had a good weekend!
Posted by Unknown at 8:05 PM
Wednesday, March 17, 2010
Earlier this week, I told myself I needed to bring my camera sometime to catch all the early blooms on campus. That's one of the things I really love about Mason is just how beautiful it is in the Spring!
The crocus are the first to come up and they are precious!
Crocus of all colors
Even striped ones, which I have never seen before! How cool are those?!
And I stumbled upon Cherry Blossoms; Mason has three of them. I saw the pink blossoms from far off and knew I had to investigate.
Boy am I glad I did! Aren't they gorgeous?
If that doesn't make you yearn for spring, I don't know what would!
PS, our sinks and lights came today in the mail...vanities should be here soon! Eeek, getting close to finishing the bathroom :-)
Posted by Unknown at 8:52 PM
Tuesday, March 16, 2010
Here is the freshly grouted tile! Looks great, eh?
And off to the other side of the bathroom...which still needs drywall. May I remind you, this used to be two rooms...
Another pic of the old bathroom taken from me standing in the doorway shown in the picture above. It's probably a little hard to envision but once it's all done, I will take a video and I think it will make more sense.
It seems like it was just yesterday Alex and I were closing the door on the master bath and just putting it out of our minds for a while because we simply had no idea what we could do with the bathroom. Now we are moving right along and it will be no time before we have a name worthy of master bath! Fun times
Posted by Unknown at 8:21 PM
Sunday, March 14, 2010
We did it! We tiled the master bath today. It was a bit more difficult than the hall bath due to the size and laying the tile on an angle
It just required much more prep work and careful measuring. But it's done! Tomorrow we grout. It's been a long day and I need food and a shower. See ya!
Posted by Unknown at 10:30 PM
Friday, March 12, 2010
Remember this purse I blogged about a couple weeks ago? Well, I got on the woman's wait list and I finally got it! She hand makes these and can only do a couple per week because they take her so long.
Let me tell you, it is a high quality bag! It's bigger than I expected but that's ok. It will definitely fit all my camera equipment!
It's very soft.
I totally know where she got this tag made...Moo.com! It's the exact same quality as the ones I ordered a while back. Very cute! You should check out her stuff at http://kettihandbags.com
I love it!
Posted by Unknown at 8:24 AM
Tuesday, March 9, 2010
Our tile showed up today! This is tile for our master bath shower. The tile on the right side that's bumpy will be an accent border. The tile to the left of that will cover the majority of the shower walls. And the tile laying down will be the floor tile
A better look at the accent tile
And the floor tile. I'm very excited to get cracking on putting this stuff up!
That's all for now. I seem to have picked up some sinus thing that's just killing my head so I'm going to bed early.
Posted by Unknown at 8:23 PM
Thursday, March 4, 2010
I had a great birthday today! Check out this awesome cake Alex got me from Coldstone! It's a coffee ice cream cake with toffee bars on top and inside
It is ridiculously delicious!
And Veronica got me these beautiful earrings that match a ring Alex got for me this past Christmas. They are little silver earrings with white sapphires; very pretty and sparkly!
My aunt Susan sent me this awesome wallet! It's a hard case that flips open like this....
I love it! And on top of everything, Alex did all the cleaning and dishes today :-) Tomorrow is dinner with the family for my brother's birthday, which should be nice!
Thanks to everyone for the birthday wishes!
Posted by Unknown at 10:33 PM
Wednesday, March 3, 2010
Tomorrow will be just like any other day except that I will be one year older. This birthday is just like all the others but it doesn't feel like it. I've thought a little bit more about this one; about what and who has gotten me to this point. I wanted to make a list of some things that I'm grateful for in my life. They are in no particular order of importance, simply of what came to mind:
1. My mom. As I get older, I see more of her in myself and that makes me incredibly happy because my mom is such a wonderful person! She has the biggest heart and has always put my needs and desires before hers
2. My dad. I also see much of my dad in me. I've never been a daddy's girl but I know I'm his little girl and always will be. He is the reason Alex and I were able to purchase our home and work on it to make it ours.
3. My brother. AJ and I were a typical brother and sister growing up; picking on each other. I frequently busted out the tears to get him in real trouble. As we got older, AJ and I formed a real tight bond and I can say that I don't know what I'd do without him. He's the best!
4. My mother-in-law. From the first moment I walked into Alex's parents' house, I felt welcomed and already part of the family. His mom, Marie, greeted me with a warm hug and hasn't stopped hugging me since! I could not have gotten a better mother-in-law
5. My husband. Alex and I have been together for a long time and been through a lot. He is my best friend. I'm so grateful to have such a loving, smart and talented husband. He is so driven and really can do anything he sets out to do.
6. Veronica. We have quite a history together. I feel that she is the only person, other than Alex, who knows everything about me. She knows exactly how to make me smile and lift my spirits when I'm down.
7. My girls. We've been a tight group for so long, I can hardly remember when we weren't. You guys are the best!
8. My job. How can I NOT be grateful for this?! I'm always conscious of just how many people don't have jobs right now and I feel so fortunate to have one. Really puts things into perspective when I think about complaining about my job.
9. My camera. I know this seems silly but it's like an appendage of mine. Without it, I couldn't create art that would simply brew in my head.
10. My house. It is so amazing to me that Alex and I own a home. We never thought we'd be able to own a house in this area; or if we did, it would be a long ways away from now. We love this house and I don't think I ever want to leave it. We are making some of the best memories here
11. Books. I am never without a book. To be deprived of them would ruin me
12. Friends at work. There are many clients who simply treat me as the civil servant I am; but then there are those who have become real friends of mine. It is so wonderful to have people I can go to at work to talk with about anything.
13. A car. I have a great car that I was able to buy last year. I am very grateful that I'm able to pay off this car without having to worry if I'll have money for groceries. I love my Mazda3 and am lucky to not have to worry about car troubles.
14. Running water. Another odd choice but with all the natural disasters lately, there are so many people without this. It just reminds me to be thankful to have it so readily here.
15. Animals. If you know me well, you know how much I love animals. While I can't have any large animals, I do have an adorable hamster, Chai. It's hard to believe such a small animal could bring me such joy, but she does!
Of course there are so many more things to be thankful for; this just begins to scratch the surface. I will be 24 tomorrow and everything will still be the same but maybe I'll be a bit more grateful for the 24 years I've had on this Earth so far.
PS, if I forgot something or someone, please don't be offended! A gentle reminder would suffice so I can add on :-)
Posted by Unknown at 10:17 PM