Tomorrow will be just like any other day except that I will be one year older. This birthday is just like all the others but it doesn't feel like it. I've thought a little bit more about this one; about what and who has gotten me to this point. I wanted to make a list of some things that I'm grateful for in my life. They are in no particular order of importance, simply of what came to mind:
1. My mom. As I get older, I see more of her in myself and that makes me incredibly happy because my mom is such a wonderful person! She has the biggest heart and has always put my needs and desires before hers
2. My dad. I also see much of my dad in me. I've never been a daddy's girl but I know I'm his little girl and always will be. He is the reason Alex and I were able to purchase our home and work on it to make it ours.
3. My brother. AJ and I were a typical brother and sister growing up; picking on each other. I frequently busted out the tears to get him in real trouble. As we got older, AJ and I formed a real tight bond and I can say that I don't know what I'd do without him. He's the best!
4. My mother-in-law. From the first moment I walked into Alex's parents' house, I felt welcomed and already part of the family. His mom, Marie, greeted me with a warm hug and hasn't stopped hugging me since! I could not have gotten a better mother-in-law
5. My husband. Alex and I have been together for a long time and been through a lot. He is my best friend. I'm so grateful to have such a loving, smart and talented husband. He is so driven and really can do anything he sets out to do.
6. Veronica. We have quite a history together. I feel that she is the only person, other than Alex, who knows everything about me. She knows exactly how to make me smile and lift my spirits when I'm down.
7. My girls. We've been a tight group for so long, I can hardly remember when we weren't. You guys are the best!
8. My job. How can I NOT be grateful for this?! I'm always conscious of just how many people don't have jobs right now and I feel so fortunate to have one. Really puts things into perspective when I think about complaining about my job.
9. My camera. I know this seems silly but it's like an appendage of mine. Without it, I couldn't create art that would simply brew in my head.
10. My house. It is so amazing to me that Alex and I own a home. We never thought we'd be able to own a house in this area; or if we did, it would be a long ways away from now. We love this house and I don't think I ever want to leave it. We are making some of the best memories here
11. Books. I am never without a book. To be deprived of them would ruin me
12. Friends at work. There are many clients who simply treat me as the civil servant I am; but then there are those who have become real friends of mine. It is so wonderful to have people I can go to at work to talk with about anything.
13. A car. I have a great car that I was able to buy last year. I am very grateful that I'm able to pay off this car without having to worry if I'll have money for groceries. I love my Mazda3 and am lucky to not have to worry about car troubles.
14. Running water. Another odd choice but with all the natural disasters lately, there are so many people without this. It just reminds me to be thankful to have it so readily here.
15. Animals. If you know me well, you know how much I love animals. While I can't have any large animals, I do have an adorable hamster, Chai. It's hard to believe such a small animal could bring me such joy, but she does!
Of course there are so many more things to be thankful for; this just begins to scratch the surface. I will be 24 tomorrow and everything will still be the same but maybe I'll be a bit more grateful for the 24 years I've had on this Earth so far.
PS, if I forgot something or someone, please don't be offended! A gentle reminder would suffice so I can add on :-)