Thrift shops


THIS is precisely why I love thrift shops! In college, I mostly frequented them for the silly, outdated clothing for costume parties but now I keep my eye open for stuff for the house. Just the other day, I was killing some time in a thrift shop in Fairfax and spotted this gem tucked in the corner. I looked at the date and it was only the day before (no doubt that's why I was able to find it!). Then I saw the price: $3!! These cost at least $80 new from Home Depot/Lowes! I couldn't believe it. Even if it doesn't work, it's still worth it! I'm so excited to use this in one of our bathrooms.

Speaking of bathrooms, we are nearing completion of the smallest room in our house; a powder room off the kitchen. We'd put off ordering all the pieces for this vanity because the bowl was very expensive (costs more than the cabinet). I'm glad we waited because the price dropped significantly! So we ordered the bowl, then the vanity and then the faucet and it's all here in one piece now!


The faucet just showed up today so Alex and I are anxious to get the plumbing hooked up. It will be nice to have this bathroom functional. It's our little modern haven...if you've seen the rest of the house, it's a far cry from modern.


This was a real challenge to find a vanity that would fit this bathroom. First challenge was that the door opened into the bathroom, not out. This gave us space for an 18" vanity. Do you realize how few vanities there are that are that small?? Then we found this vanity on Home Depot's website and flipped the door around so it opens out now. There is much more room now! This vanity has a granite top which is nice as well.

The bathroom will not be complete, however, until we are able to tile the floor. That's a much bigger and more involved project that we are saving for another time. Whatever tile we use for the bathroom will be the same stuff we'll use for the kitchen and sunroom.

I know I'm a bit behind on the blog, but not much has happened lately. Alex and I got the baseboards down in our master bedroom, which is awesome! It feels like we almost have a complete room :-) It's become quite a little sanctuary...which I've been needing lately! Last thing I need is to order a comfy chaise lounge for a reading corner in the master bedroom; then it will be complete. I look forward to it!

'til next time...

Comments